I come from Fair Isle, a small island in the far north of Scotland.
A lucky chance to study Russian as a teenager in Shetland led to a life-long passion for Russian language and culture. You can read about this in an article for the New Shetlander.
Land reform, eastern Europe, Scottish & Russian history, science & ecology, environmental threats, travel writing, architecture, theatre, folk music, politics, 'slow' radio, documentaries.
- Alfa Fellowship participant, Moscow; 2021-2022
- Journalist, BBC Scotland; 2018-2021
- Journalist, MDR, Leipzig (IJP intern); 2019
- Reporter, Stranraer & Wigtownshire Free Press; 2017-2018
- Freelance; 2015-2017 (copywriting for Film & Campaign Ltd, published in the New Statesman, Open Democracy, The National, The Ecologist, Bella Caledonia)
- Reporter, CommonSpace, Glasgow; 2015-16
- Scotland campaigner, 38 Degrees, London; 2014-15
- Bakala Journalism Bootcamp, Prague - August 2017
- City of Liverpool College — January-July 2017
Diploma, National Council for the Training of Journalists.
- University of Edinburgh, 2013-2015
Sociology MRes (Postgraduate General Certificate: Pass)
- University of Edinburgh, 2007-2012
MA (Hons) Sociology (First Class)
Awards & Scholarships
- Accepted a place on the Alfa Fellowship, 2020 (deferred due to pandemic)
- Offered Erasmus Mundus scholarship, Russian & East European Studies, Glasgow & Tartu Universities, 2020
- Longlisted for Financial Times Paul McLean trainee programme, 2018
- Scholarship + New Statesman internship, Journalism Diversity Fund, 2017
- Coverage of protests against deportations in Glasgow awarded ‘Highly commended’ by Scottish Refugee Council, 2016
- Final shortlist candidate for Channel 4 Dispatches traineeship, 2015
- Awarded 4-year ESRC PhD scholarship, 2012